Sometimes only a burger will do, this is how I like mine. It’s a serious feast.
Makes 5 fat burgers…
for the burger:
- 1kg good quality minced beef (get it from your butcher, from the supermarket will have added water and wont grill well)
- 5 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp worcester sauce
- 1 tsp ‘french’s’ American mustard
for the buns:
- 500g strong flour
- 2 eggs, one for the dough, one for the glaze
- 100ml milk
- 200ml water
- 5g dried instant yeast
- 10g salt
- sesame seeds (for decoration)
for the burger sauce
- 2tbsp mayonnaise
- 3tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp french’s mustard
- 8 gherkin slices chopped finely
- half small red onion, finely chopped
- 1tsp hot chilli sauce of your choice (I use siracha chilli sauce)
garnish, I keep it simple but its completely up to you:
- sliced tomato
- cheddar cheese
If you are going to make your own buns start this first. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl then add the liquids and 1 egg. Mix well to combine before turning out on a clean surface and kneading for 5 minutes. Return to the bowl, cover and leave to rise for 30 minutes. Repeat the kneading and return to the bowl again and leave to rise for 1 hour. Shape into rolls and leave to rise on a baking sheet again for 30 minutes. Glaze with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top before baking in hot oven at 200 for 20-30 minutes.
Mix the beef, chopped bacon, worcester sauce and american mustard together, mould into 5 (or more) patties and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Mix the burger sauce.
Grill the burger on a hot bbq for about 5 minutes a side or similarly in a hot frying pan, add the cheese and allow to melt for a couple of minutes.
Assemble, eat vigorously and await the meat sweats.